Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Saturday, July 10, 2010

All is Fine

I am finding it very pleasant to be in Opunake. The weather has changed and I've seen lots of sunlight these days. I like days when I am able to do one of my four favorite things: (1.) I can explore and hike Mt. Egmont (Taranki) or just gaze upon it from my kitchen as I have a morning coffee or afternoon tea, (2.) I can sit on the rocks at the beach, especially in the late afternoon sun, (3.) I can have a coffee at the Sugar Juice Cafe - everything is good there (This morning I had a four-egg omelette with bacon, cheese, mushrooms and avocado; I heartily recommend the date scone; I've never tasted anythin like it before - yum), or (4) do a little writing (I've written four poems this week. I don't know that they are really poems but they express my emotions.

I'm having fun slowing down and not being in the race. I don't have to perform or fill my day with activities. There still isn't enough time or energy to do all the things I would like to do. And I like sitting and thnking about God, Jesus, the Spirit, and what they are doing in my life. Unfortunately, my time in New Zealand soon comes to an end. How I would like to stay a little longer. I haven't even made it to the mainland yet.

I met the lovely sister from New Plymouth of a kind Jesuit (of Melbourne, Australia). She, her husband and I had a brunch this morning before he went surfing in the afternoon. It was a very pleasant conversation. I wish we had more time because they are neat people.

Last night I met some more good folks at the pub. I'm told the language changes when I arrive, but I don't notice anything. I hear that an adjective is dropped. However, the beer flows and the conversation is good. I laughed last night when this one Australian who moved to New Zealand when he was six years old and has never been to the States asked me if I met Elvis, to which I responded, "he's dead." He replied, "Oh, I thought you were older than that." I think he got the better of me.

Anyways, I think I saw Elvis today walking down Surf Highway on his way to Pihama.

No comments:

Post a Comment