Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Friday, February 11, 2011

Chad and Jeremy Concert

Chad and Jeremy were part of the British invasion that rocked the American music scene 50 years ago. With their sigature songs, "Yesterday's Gone" and "A Summer Song", they played to a mellow audience at the Shalin Liu Performance Center in Rockport, Massachusetts last night. Their style of music resembles Peter and Gordon and is likened to Simon and Garfunkel. They were quite entertaining and comedic as the 2.5 hour show recalled an energizing spirit for teens half a century ago.

Since this is a week of rest following 35 days of intense retreat work, and as the Academy Award season is upon us, I decided to catch up on some films. Turner Classic Movies this month is playing all the movies that won an Oscar.

I've watched "Kramer vs. Kramer" about a single dad who takes care of his son after his wife walks out on him. This film was released in 1979, the year I graduated high school, and captured the changing social work of the 70's. As divorces were becoming more common, men fought for equality for child custody in light of the women's equality movement. By today's standards, it would be a non-movie, but I recall it gain critical acclaim when it was released.

I also saw "Three Coins in a Fountain" about the hopes of three American women in Rome who wished romance and marriage by each throwing a coin into the magical Trevi fountain.

I had seen the ending of "Braveheart" before, but never the beginning or middle so I stayed up very late to watch this Mel Gibson film.

The current "King's Speech" was terrific. I do think Colin Firth will get the Oscar for his performance. I liked how the ending wasn't wrapped up so neatly. These films inspire me to read more about the biographies of the main characters.

Tomorrow, I will see "Social Network," which is getting good press. I will go to the Cabot Street Theatre in Beverly. The place is a hoot because of its classical atmosphere. It is like dropping back into a 1950s theatre.

One other thing of note, yesterday I visited some elderly Jesuits at Campion Center in Weston, Massachusetts. The Chapel of the Holy Spirit was recently renovated. It is stunning. The gold lined ceiling glitters and radiates. If I had more time, I would have brought my camera along to take photos. I'll be back there soon to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment