Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Critters

The past few days we have had cloudless skies and bright sunny weather with temperatures in the 50's (Fahrenheit) and it is helping new life come out. Small insects are visibly crawling around; spiders seem to be abundant already; crickets are chirping loudly each night and early dawn. All sorts of birds are returning. Robin redbreasts are chirping up a storm. Our two Canadian geese are back and the seagulls are obiquitious. The swans are only seen one at a time, which means that the other is taking care of the eggs that will soon hatch the signets. Frogs and turtles are around. I don't like it when the turtles eat the young signets. It is sad.

As I was getting into my car to take a short drive to the market this evening, I could hear yelping and howling in the nearby forests. The small critters are hungry. Young rabbits are chasing one another and the squirrels and chipmunks are frolicking once again. Even domestic cats are sensing the burgeoning life in the wild. During my short drive, I could see the eyes of cats before I could see the cats' bodies. Mostly they look as if they are on the prowl.

I'm rushing to get some work done at the Stations of the Cross. The clearing is now quite wide and I'm hoping that the strong sun will dry out the marshy forest floor. The sun can now reach areas that has not seen direct sunlight in years. Fortunately, ticks are not out yet, but I expect them anyday. I'm doing some fine detailing on the path's edges. It is coming along nicely.

The fragrances of this time of year tell me that we ought to be celebrating Easter, but when it comes, it will come if fragrant glory with bright colors and sprigs of green everywhere. With temperatures expected in the 60's all week, we are on our way to having plants and flowers burst forth.

I wish Lent was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment