Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Friday, April 1, 2011

Slogging Throught It

I have good memories from last night's storm as I arise this morning. I sat in the fireplace room of the retreat house and lit a gentle fire. I only placed two logs in the fireplace so the fire could set a nice mood. Too often, retreatants will set a large, fast, furious fire, but those to me are not as interesting as the gentler ones.

The house was empty and quiet. It was the first time as fire was lit in the house when retreatants were not around. After this week of directing, I looked forward to that space alone. I live in silence all the time, and you learn the different qualities of silence only by being in the silence. In this one, I could just relax and let go.

I read a book that I have been slogging through since September. It is an engaging book but sometimes you are meant to read a particular book at a particular time. It gave me great enjoyment just to let myself be pulled along into the story. Now I have excitement to finish it soon. I enjoyed my recreation.

The rain came down in big droplets and they clanged on the roof and the patio stones. Soon, the drops became smaller and their sound was less noticeable. It hadn't begun to snow until after I went to bed and fell asleep, but the anticipation of it was soothing. It felt like I had permission to sleep in. I was carefree with no place to go. It was like having a snowday.

To no surprise, I awoke to a front lawn that was covered with heavy, wet snow. It was only about 1/4 of an inch thick. This type of snow won't rattle the crocuses, daffodils, or tulips. It is an easy snow to take. I remember the April 1st blizzard of 1997. I thoroughly enjoyed the extra time that day gave me. This snow will be gone tomorrow when the temperatures reach 50 Fahrenheit. I already put away my gloves, scarves, and hats in defiance of winter.

Spring is comnig. Easter is just three weeks away. All is O.K.

No comments:

Post a Comment