Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Friend from the Past

I am sitting at a restaurant in Rocky Neck, an artist colony in Gloucester. It is the oldest working artist colony in the United States. The neck is a promontory that sticks out into the harbor. It is like an island but with a natural causeway. The harbor is still and the ocean is becoming restless as it knows that Hurricane Irene is on her way. Many people are mulling about, but it is not a time of recreation, but one of preparation.

The restaurant is quiet. It has light activity, but I am sitting near an open window that lets the gentle breeze sail through the restaurant. I'm here simply because I want the time to be out among other people in a relaxed setting. I want time to contemplate my day. I'd be happy with a freshly brewed cup of coffee, but I'm get something more substantial so I savor the day.

A friend from my teenage years visited me in Gloucester. He and his wife came to spend the afternoon. It was a lovely day. He was my Business Law teacher, our class advisor, the yearbook editor, and a host of other roles to us. He is a splendid man. I was happy to hear of his life and to meet his lovely bride. We talked about my classmates, his teacher colleagues, his family, and he brought along several photo albums to catch me up on his life. His dad competed in the Olympics (Melbourne) and won many titles for canoe racing.

Though we shared good memories, we spent more time talking about the present, which is more important. I'm very happy for him. I wish him lots of goodwill and I am delighted we will keep in touch. It was a surprise to me that most of my teachers are retired, though most of them are still not old. The last time I saw most of them was thirty-two years ago.

I am fortunate to have so many good people in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment