Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Crawling Ants

Yesterday and today, I was a bit amused at the sight of small ants in my room. Not many were there, but I thought they would be long in hibernation by December 22nd. The warm weather must have awakened them from their slowed-down hibernating state.

I guess they came inside on my clothing. I was fortunate enough to do some outdoor work both days. It has been downright balmy at a time when the earth is typically frozen. The soil is still warm and loose.

The warm temperatures inspired me to get outside and cut down some trees and vines that have gone wayward. I used the brush-mower to cut down vines that have entangled themselves around each other. They encroach upon a pathway with thorny pickers. I mowed down a patch twenty-five feet wide and fifty feet long. I did not want to go overboard because I tend to bite off more than I can chew. There's tons of work to do around the retreat house and I have to be patient with myself because I want to do it all quickly. There's plenty of time to savor the work.

Today, a friend came over to cut down some trees that we problematic. Vines crept up tree upon tree creating a thicket of a mess. It was a lot of work to cut one particular tree down because the vines would sting us. It does open up the area to light and air.

Unfortunately, yesterday was the day of the year in which the shortest amount of daylight is seen. The early sunset curtails my activities even though I have boundless energy. I sleep so well at night and I want to do more, but it is coming along fine. I have all winter to clean things up and get them ready for a beautiful spring.

Today is the first day of winter. Only three more months until spring. Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment