Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Storm

It is amazing that in mid-January, we have not seen our first snowflake. I'm sure it will come, but with half the month already over, it will seem like a short winter. While much of New England received some snow two days ago, we received a lot of rain.

Yesterday, it was blustery with gale-like winds. The winds howled around 40-45 mph, but the temperature was very warm at 46 degrees. The sun was bright and the clouds had interesting formations. These are the day when I like to go out to the rocks and sit on a blanket and listen to the wind around me. I find a spot where I am safe from the winds and soak in the warmth. It is surreal because I can see the effects of the winds and hear the pounding surf, but I can find a place where I only feel the calm, stillness. What a paradox to experience.

Last night, I had dinner in Jamaica Plain, Boston. I seldom get there, but on my way to visit friends, I drove by the old convent that used to house the Jesuit novitiate. I had two good years there. I was surprised to see the massive development around that property. A mixed-use commercial/residential building exists where the old rectory was situated. The parking lot has been filled in and my old novitiate is a beautifully renovated house situated among other similarly-appearing buildings.

I am amazed with the feel of the square. I feel like I am in a neighborhood of New York City. It feels alive, vibrant, and it retains its multi-ethnic population. Some tired bars and pubs have been beefed up into more inviting restaurants. It seems like a great place to live - new, with an old neighborhood feel to it. I am pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment