Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Monday, May 28, 2012

My Mother's 80th birthday party

In honor of my mother's 80th birthday (on May 29th), we celebrated on Sunday at a gathering at the family home in Douglas. It was amazing that nearly every family member that could come showed up.

My sister from Maine with her husband and three sons came. My older sister from Worcester was able to make it despite losing her husband a week earlier. My niece-sisters' whole family came as did my brother's partner. My brother came later in the day as he was working. My brother in California/Virginia and his family were not able to make it. Everyone had a great time as food was bountiful on this Memorial Day weekend.

The children made things interesting and the dog who generally wears people out was the one who was worn down. She didn't know who to beg from. The temperature inside the house heated up quickly as many people kept coming and going. I still can't believe that a family of eight children with dogs and cats and two adults lived in such a small abode. 

My mother received the gifts she wanted and she was happy we were all together. The family related well to one another. I think it was good for Dara, who is grieving the death of her husband with the uncertainty of not knowing where she will live. Sh fears that after 23 years with her partner, Dennis, his family may be asking her to move out of the condo very soon. Poor thing. I've always suggested that she formalize the relationship with marriage. She took care of him so well since his four strokes 21 years ago.

 All the cousins got together and it was like they were discovering each other for the first time. They have grown a great deal since they last saw each other. They were happy to belong to a large family with such great diversity.

 It was bittersweet for me as I'm soon headed for Amman, Jordan. It may be the last time I see the family together in such a celebratory way. I was pleased that most of us were there. Something larger than us happened that day. And it was good.

4 comments:

  1. Belated Birthday Congratulations to your mother. It is fabulous that so many of you were able to gather for this memorable day and that you are all on speaking terms.:-))
    So many families are estranged these days.
    I am so glad for you John and yes, it must have been emotional -that you were able experience the closeness of your family before you set off on your adventure to Jordan is truly special.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil. Yes, it was good for me. Thanks for the birthday congratulations. I'm so pleased all worked out well.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like quite a gathering. I send birthday wishes to your mom!

    Wow, Amman, Jordan! I am behind in my reading, so I did not know this. Or perhaps you have not said much? Either way, I have not read much in awhile... ah time. In any case, one of my most beloved spots on earth is Jordan. I pray you will be happy there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fran, the news about Amman is relatively new. I haven't posted it widely only because I have so much to do. This week I'm on retreat, we had the birthday party, and I've had four rehearsals for the Verdi concert. I'm occupied with lots of different things to do. Phew!

    ReplyDelete