Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Aschaffenberg, Germany

On my way to Amman, Jordan, I had a layover in Afschaffenberg, Germany, just south of Frankfurt, the financial center of Germany. I visited a childhood friend who moved to Germany eight years ago to marry her German friend, but sadly the marriage ended in divorce, which was finalized the day before I arrived. I was glad to be there for her because divorces always have a traumatic part to them. My friend is strong and will come through this, but she knows she will experience a great deal of pain first. She is very wise.

My friend could not have been more hospitable. After collecting me at the airport, we had a brief tour of her city. I loved seeing the castle and the king's summer residence. The city is old-time European with a modern flare to it. It is quite charming. The city is one of hills. In the old days, city officials did not level hills and fill in valleys; they just built around them. It makes for a scenic village with lots of architectural charm.

Janet brought me to meet her friends who were celebrating the start of the Volksfest, a two week summer festival with amusement park rides. Lots of cultural activities were scheduled. We visited some of her friends who gathered for a deck-party with lots of nice German foods. We told jokes throughout the entire night, which was a surprise to meet because I don't speak German. What I found interesting was that I could understand where most of the conversation was going. Too often, people were talking to me in German and expecting a response before they realized I am illiterate. Somehow it all worked out well and it was a fun party.

The next morning we meet one of Janet's friends for breakfast. We walked through the Farmer's Market where people were doing their produce shopping for the week. It was a great assembly of people. After the close of the market, many went to the pubs to get their weekend day started off right. We toured a few museums and churches as well as some artist galleries.

I did my first watercolor painting that night. It is something I may want to pick up in Jordan as a hobby. Later that night, we joined some friends for a meal at the Pomodoro restaurant, Italian, of course. It was quite good. As the meal was ended, a native German began speaking to me in English. It was quite fascinating to relate so easily to the people of Germany.

When I was on my way to the airport to go to Amman, I was filled with both fear and excitement about beginning a life in a place so culturally unfamiliar to me. I'll always be 'from away.'

2 comments:

  1. Blessings for your journey John.
    Hope you arrive safely.
    I expect you will have a huge welcome !!
    I look forward to hearing all the news when you are settled.

    ReplyDelete