Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

First Week Adjustments

I arrived in Amman a week ago today. It has taken me a whole week to break through jet lag and to finally move toward a satisfying sleep schedule. I think I might come close to eight hours tonight.

Anyways, I've set up my office and I'm liking the space quite well. The air conditioner helps. Since we are on a hillside, my office is at the level of the tree tops. A needle-less pine tree branch is right outside my window and five small birds provide me with entertainment. As I look across the street, a woman in an orange gown is sweeping her third-floor deck, while a man in Jordanian robes and head covering is slowly sucking on a cigarette on the rooftop balcony.  Passersby on the street below head to the Toledo hotel or down the wadi to the business district.

I toured Jebel L'webdeih today. It is the neighboring jebel (hill) that was first settled by the French.
At the crest is Parish Square even though it is a circle. Many coffee-houses and small restaurants are in the area. Art galleries dot the winding narrow streets. I discovered a small art store that has a few water-colour supplies. I will discover a few of the coffee-houses over time. I saw a nice patisserie that has fine looking desserts. It is right next to the Chocolate House, which deserves exploration. I like the Palestinian noughats and small candies so I will eventually visit the area when I need a respite.

I tried walking the streets. I do get aerobic exercise. Not only are the hills fairly steep, but the sidewalks are not even. One always has to step up or down to make any progress. For sure, many ankles are twisted because of mis-steps.

Driving is tragically worse. One of the Jesuits say that it is not driving, but riding. He says Jordanians pretend they are riding camels and donkeys and they will occupy any available space possible because they are nomadic Beadouins and oftentimes sheep and goats direct them where to go. Driving is a night-mare though. I'm thankful that the major roads have cameras at stop lights and that there are traffic patrols. The inner city is a different matter though. For a highly sensate person, one has to look quickly in five different directions before moving forward. There is no sense of boundaries or rules when it comes to open space.

This weekend I will speak at all the parish Masses. I visited them last week, but I will be visibly present this coming weekend.

The archbishop is quite a good man. He is Jordanian, but he is new to this diocese having just returned in late-August. He was 16 years as bishop in Tunisia and he taught pastoral theology in the seminary near Bethlehem University. He is very likable and wants to come to know the parishes.

The food is excellent. It is very tasty and lean if one stays away from chocolates. The markets are quite interesting. You can find everything you want in them, but the placement of items is all over the store. Sweets are everywhere. Condiments are right next to each of the many sweets locations. If I'm going to bake, I'll have to learn new measurements. Speaking of that, scales only go up to 130. I thought that was optimistic, but then I realized they are recording stones. I think I have many stones.

Television is foreign. We get about 9 channels, but they are all news stations. After a while, I notice I am feeling down. The one movie station is Fox, but it is not anything that I want to follow yet because it is Arabic language with English subtitles. The movies are American, but they are not the first-stringers.

As I am adjusting, I have to find one thing I can enjoy or appreciate each day. I'm doing that. Tomorrow, I will discover the ancient Roman citadel, which is just two jebels away.


No comments:

Post a Comment