Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Random Thoughts

I am surprised that I did not see the sun this morning. Each day is blindingly bright, except for today. Clouds from the north and dust in the south have met along a front. It is obscuring the sun and cooling off the dessert but brining unwelcome humidity. With yesterday's temperatures at 96, no one wants increased humidity.

I am acclimating after a week's stay in Amman. Night-time sleep is elusive and I manage to get eight hours each day so I have lots of energy. I can sense that I am now wanting to explore the surroundings. Just a few kilometers away is the ancient Roman citadel and the ruins of the stronghold. When the strong heat breaks early in the week, I'll venture forth to discover this archeological wonder.

Next week's calendar is already filling up. On Monday, I may visit a prominent gallery to see an exhibition by a parishioner. He does graphic arts and paintings. He also plays harmonica in the chorus at the Friday Mass. Tuesday, the community has plans to go to an ancient cave that is supposed to house one of the earliest Christian communities. Wednesday has a social engagement with a mutual friend of a British Jesuit and then an open house at one of the Christian schools in the late afternoon. Ministerial work is increasing by day.

Driving along the Ammonite streets is still a mystery. How I can be in the left lane of a two-way street and have a car out of the blue driving alongside me is mind-boggling. I keep telling myself that this is a whole different value system. Americans might see it as a lack of respect for an individual or for the law, but Jordanian drivers have a different value system. To them, it is not a matter of (dis)respect. They would probably apologize if they thought they were offending me. I am the one who has to experience a different thought process.

I was startled the other night when I stepped out of my car at the Jesuit Center. I heard four blasts and I clutched my heart. It quickly dawned on me that they were firecrackers set off at a neighboring hotel to celebrate a wedding. Yes, it was a Thursday evening - the vigil of their (our) weekend.

I found a few English-based TV stations that show movies. I thought it would be good, but they are 3rd tier movies like "Jurassic Park 3." I did come across "Julia and Julie" and a British-oriented show, but when I flipped back to those channels, Arabic programs were being shown.

I found, with the help of a parishioner, two stations that play American music. Most of the music is not my cup of tea, but occasionally I hear a song I know or like. However, since Andy Williams died this week, I went to Youtube to watch and listen to his music. He possessed such a talent. At the height of his fame, he was between 35-40. He always seemed so old to me in my youth. The ease with which he sang reminded me of Perry Como so I watched some of his videos as well. His voice is perhaps smoother than Andy Williams'. O.K. I also listened to some Frank Sinatra, but then I spent more time playing and listening to Christmas music. Christmas music makes me feel happy.

Youtube lets you discover your childhood.

O.K. Here are 10 of my best-remembered Andy Williams songs (excluding Christmas songs.) Also, he did a number of remakes that are also very good.

1. Moon River         (of course)
2. Summer Place
3. Born Free
4. Speak Softly Love (Theme from the Godfather)
5. The Impossible Dream (The Quest)
6. A Time for Us
7. Where do I begin (Love Story)
8. Can't Take my Eyes Off of You
9. MacArthur Park
10. Exodus Story

I decided to have a cup of tea. Chamomile is nice because we put the whole flower into a pot of steaming tea. The flower opens up and makes a beautiful flowing design in the teapot. It has a calming effect upon a drinker so I thought I would try it at night before bed-time.

I will get my camera out this week. I will do my first watercolor in my Jordanian period.

I've met some nice parishioners at Mass yesterday. I am addressing each of the parishes this weekend before I begin my assignment in earnest nest week. I will preside at two of the Masses this weekend.

I like my office. It is quiet, elevated, and has air conditioning. I use the air conditioner to regulate the humidity more than I do to cool it down. The office is off the beaten track so it is an ideal spot to get some work done.

O.K. That is it for now.

2 comments:

  1. John, I have been thinking about you so much, and keeping you in prayer. What a very different place you are in, in so many ways.

    As I have mentioned before, Jordan is a country in which I have left a piece of my heart. Of course the Jordan that I experienced in the course of a week in June of 2006, is not the same as your daily life. I have such fond memories though, and one day I would love to return! (insha'allah!)

    On another note, I love what you said about Youtube; one can get lost looking at so many things, reminders of days gone by.

    Good to hear your update! AMDG and Salaam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Fran. Thanks for the prayers and good thoughts. Yes, I am in a very different place. Yesterday, I felt a tinge of loneliness, but then the ministry took over. It reminds me that I have to tell Christ how I am feeling.

      Hold out your desire to return. It may all seem so different because of the changes in your life since then. Your appreciation may grow ever richer.

      Thanks. Youtube has brought back many memories of days gone by. Feelings and emotions return as if I were there at that moment. It is quite a mystery. There's been such good entertainment over the years that simply slip by.

      Salaam back at you.

      John

      Delete