Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Getting Comfortable - Eating Cake

Tonight I decided to get acquainted with the kitchen. I baked an orange cake (from a box) so I could become adjusted to the Jordanian/Arabic measurement system and to see what we have in the kitchen. The cake came out alright. It smelled good. The real test was in making the frosting. I bought a package that I thought was confectioner's sugar. Since I couldn't read anything on the box, I recalled that one adds butter, vanilla, and milk to the sugar. I have to say it came out alright. The consistency is a little less frosty than I would have liked, but the taste is there. I added a little maple syrup to complement the vanilla. We'll see how it turns out when people eat it tomorrow. I felt proud just to cook again in my own kitchen.

We also had an adjustment to our television stations. I was able to watch ESPN and a few U.S. channels. The silence barrier seems to be broken.

Work is picking up. I've come across lovely souls here. Christianity is expressed very differently here than in the States. I'll say more on that at a later date.

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed that you found what you wanted in the package -- I remember crossing my fingers and guessing in a little corner grocery store in Japan last fall. And guessing quite wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the icing sugar isn't quite the same as confectioner's sugar so I'll have to experiment with ways to make it as frothy as the other type. I also made spaghetti last night and pizza the night before. Adventures galore!

      Delete