Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Monday, October 8, 2012

The Market

I am getting acclimated. After spending a leisurely time in Jebel Webdeih where there are great "sweets" shops, I went to the local market. It is Islamic-run and it is the closet to center. Very few items are in English. Thank God for the pictures. I can tell low-fat milk from whole mile. I was so pleased to have my first currency exchange for needed products. As I was in the market looking very confused, a Jordanian or Palestinian man came over to me and said, "Hi, Father." I can't recall ever seeing him before.

On the way back, I ran into a religious sister dressed all in white. I wished her Salam and Buongiorno and she became very animated. She lives with the Italian sisters though she is native Jordanian. She is here to care for her brother who lives in Amman. We had a lovely time trying hard to communicate, but the gestures and facial language conveyed what words could not. It gave me a lift to communicate with someone on the street.

2 comments:

  1. It must feel good to be finding more of your way around. I did not make it to that area. But I do know the feeling of looking at the pictures and trying to sort out what I was buying! All that and the gift of spontaneous communication with the sister! Grace abounds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she was a lovely woman. Every day I'm doing something new. Various meetings and events are beginning to vie for my time. All is good.

      Delete