Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Happy (Islamic) New Year

Today was very pleasant. I awoke to the sound of silence. Everything outdoors was eerily quiet and indoors no one was moving. I enjoyed the opportunity to work on needed paperwork to get organized. I now have a comprehensive list of parish contacts. I realized early in the morning that today was the Islamic New Year.

Major demonstrations were planned for today and tomorrow. It would be safe to get out of the house after 2 p.m. when the demonstrations are broken up. Protests are done in my region - Jebel Hussein while a make-shift marketplace is set up right below my residence.

In the afternoon, I trekked out with two others (because solitary travel is not advised) to the arts store that I could not find yesterday. I found it, but it was closed as I expected. We went shopping at a local grocery store and mall. I met a very nice elegant older couple who arrived two weeks ago. They have such charming faces and they are enthusiastic about being here for their two year mission service.

After shopping, we ate at La Mirabella, a French restaurant in a very comfortable, clean setting. They have the best sweets: French pastries and Zalatino nougats and nuts. Very yummy. Their display is very tasteful as well. It was a good day all around - in contrast to yesterday's mishaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment