Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Thursday, November 8, 2012

In search of...

In search of gloves. I am about to embark on a quest for a pair of gloves. I'm not sure what they will look like. They don't need to be winter gloves - maybe more like driving gloves, however if they were a bit thinner, it would be better. They will not be plastic or rubber gloves because that will seem rude. I think this is going to be quite an adventure - looking for a particularize pair of gloves in a language where I cannot communicate well. Also, the merchants want to make a sale. Even if I find them, I hope they are not outrageously priced.

I want to wear these gloves for the upcoming cold and flu season. Just about every parishioner wants to shake hands regardless of whether they are coughing or not. In country Filipino custom, after the priest shakes their hand, they pull your hand to their head to bless them. It is superstition,  of course, but a cultural habit. Instead, I take their hand and place it on my head, which freaks them out because they "are not worthy...." I play with their custom and they don't know how to take it, so we laugh.

Ironically, many of them during the rite of peace will look at each other and will nod when they give peace. They keep their hands to their side, but then they walk out of the church door and demand to shake hands. The irony.

Not only that, but because communion is received in the mouth, they sometimes bite or at least give my fingers a good licking. There's little that I can do about that. Sometimes they stand far away from me and lunge their head forward to receive the host - and they take my fingers with me. A good case of Purell will do, but at least if I can put on some gloves before and after Mass, I'll find a way to reduce the spread of nasty germs. Of course, since I'm new to these germs, I will catch every one before I build up immunity. This will be a long winter.

4 comments:

  1. I know that this is a serious matter but you have written about it in such a wonderful way that has cast a humourous light on it. I understand how you feel about communion in the mouth because there are some people who receive in the mouth when I'm serving and I'm very, very careful but it isn't common here. I will pray that you find the right kind of gloves but more importantly, that you remain in good health. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The established way of receiving communion is by the tongue in the church in the Middle East. I certainly won't wear gloves during communion, but it will be a fun search.

      Delete
  2. Why not try a viral/antimicrobial hand spray or gel? You can get them small/discrete enough to fit in pocket. They are quick drying and active for a few hours. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have those disinfectants. Is that the same thing? Maybe I'll use it before and after Mass. I use something like a Purell disinfectant.

      Delete