Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Can't wait for the Weekday

First, I want to my great sorrow in hearing the news of the tragic deaths in Connecticut of those 20 six and seven year old students and their teachers. Everyone in Jordan is grieving their losses in this unthinkable tragedy. We prayed for them in each of our Masses. We know there probably is no suitable explanation that we'll ever understand about the nature of evil and tragedy, but we have to take steps to reverse the possibilities. Gun control was needed years ago. We need it now badly. Two years ago my second cousin found his father's gun and shot himself to death. As a society, we can't let people have access to guns easily. Our constitutional right to bear arms was intended to allow citizens to protect themselves from a government that imposed its will upon people. In principle I support this concept, but in reality too many lives have been lost. The 18th century situation is much different from today's. We, as citizens, need to do something.

On a lighter note, I attended a Christmas concert the other night. I finally found it after painfully driving around for over an hour. It took me all concert to settle myself down. A massive Greek Orthodox Cathedral is situation in a mixed-zoned district that is exquisitely hidden so that no one would ever unintentionally attend a liturgical service. Once we found this place, we needed to find a place to park, which was not easy.

The performance had many good singers and soloists. They each had talent and the audience very much enjoyed their efforts. Mostly, the singers were young and looked stately in their attire. The best part was the lighting of the church and its decorations. It created a celebratory mood to prepare us for Christmas. I'm glad I went.

We paid full price even though we saw only half the show because we were late. A responsive usher was able to show us some seat in the next highest price range because as they say, "there was no room in the inn." I appreciated her kindness. I laughed because once we bought the tickets, we noticed a map and directions on them. That certainly would have been helpful to have as we were driving around for two nights to find the location.

I attended a benefit bazaar for the Overseas Workers Welfare Association on Friday. I was touched by the generosity of the many people who attended the event. This raised money for those who lost their lives in the Philippines due to the recent storms and for the women in the shelter who often do not have enough food to eat. I am starting a weekly can drive where food stuffs can be collected and brought to the shelter.

Yesterday we held the Christmas pageant at the Vigil Mass. The kids did a great job, but the sheep stole the show. We wondered how this event would come out and at the last minute everything fell into place. At the closing blessing during Mass, a toddler wandered into the sanctuary. I picked him up and we gave the blessing together.

Somehow the party would out well too. The tables looked meagerly set, but as soon as Mass finished, people reached into their bags and pulled out loads of food for everyone to enjoy. It all went well except for the last moment when I went to my car to find that I was double-parked in. I was not amused.

I started to write a letter to someone last night. I went searching for an envelope to discover that not many of them exist as people don't write letters or send mail.

The choir rehearsals are coming along. People are learning how to sing and the congregations are responding more positively. It is much more work than I imagined, but people are responding well to it. Many comment after each Mass.

Two more Masses today. I can't wait to rest so I can prepare for the Christmas holidays.

I wish the New England Patriots were playing a 1:00 p.m. game. I'll have to wake up at 4 a.m. to watch the game.

Nothing ever goes as one hopes.



4 comments:

  1. The image of you picking up the little one and giving the final blessing, in the midst of the tragic news that has captured everyone's attention, and in the tragedies that have not -- a friend's daughter was killed Friday in a car accident, her life collapsing even as the situation in Connecticut unfolded -- felt like a sign of hope this morning. Thank you (and your Employer!) for the gentle reminder...God is with us.

    Glad you made it to the concert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. Actually, several people told me at the Christmas party that the favorite part of the Mass for them was when I held the toddler in my arms. He didn't look at the people but was fixed on the tabernacle. He made everyone chuckle, and then he blessed them along with me.

      I'm very sorry to hear of your friend's daughter's accident. Her parents must be devastated. We are all grieving with the people of Newtown as they cope with such tragic news.

      The concert was a welcome relief.

      Delete
  2. I would agree with Michelle about you picking up the toddler while around the world we are in sorrow for the deaths in Connecticut; however, as Michelle also points out, many others are dying every day and their families are also devastated. I think of the mothers whose children die of starvation every day. It must be horrific for them as well.

    Michelle, I will keep your friends and their daughter in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I had no idea the effect it would have on anyone. It just seemed like the right and natural thing to do. My Advent season has been one of increased prayer for the suffering people of the world.

      Delete