Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Can't Catch a Breath

Life in Jordan has been very busy these past few days. I spent my day off replying to emails, but when I was nearing the end, I wanted to go to the music store to check out keyboards. Mind you, I can't play yet. I can pluck notes.

I invited our Jamaican guests to come see a different part of the city with me. They admired the way Middle Easterners are very meticulous about individually wrapping their sweets with silver, golds, reds and blues. We went into shops with colorful pastries and rich chocolates, but every place we entered, the guests were too full to eat anything.

I went into the music store and felt very rushed. The guy wanted to give me the information, but not engage me. We left rather quickly and I obtained the information I sought.

Afterwards, the guests went into this women's shop where nice traditional Islamic gowns were sold. The cuts of the gowns are made in such a way that they are to be pinned in the back if a woman wants to show her shape. Our guest inquired into one dress and when the merchant brought a small out for her, she kept saying, "It is too large." They went at it for a while - not communicating well at all. It was fun to watch. The merchant was in disbelief because he brought the smallest gown and he was trying to explain that he will tailor it.

Finally, a Bahrainian intervened because he spoke both languages well. By this time, our guest was not going to buy a thing because frustration levels were high. The Bahrainian asked where I was from and I replied the States. He told me he was going there next week to visit a billionaire friend in Los Angeles for three weeks. After a bit of conversation, he asked me about my work, to which I replied, "I'm the pastor of the English-speaking Catholic church." That was the end of the conversation. No further word was exchanged. It was obvious to him that I was not a man of any worth because I live in poverty. He was certainly above my social circle. It was fun to watch.

However, the owner of the place came rushing over and yelled, "Abouna, come have coffee with me!" I told him next time as we were ready to leave. He said, "That day won't come," and I replied, "It will. I'll be back to the Music store in a week." He said I must stop by, and then he added, "I respect Abounas. They have such a good heart. Goodness keeps coming out deeply from  their hearts. Please honor me and come back. You have a good heart."

I melted and I told him I would return, but I didn't feel I was as good as the Abounas he has encountered. It gave me something deep upon which to reflect. Even my minutest actions are picked up by others.

It certainly demonstrated the "Two Standards" of the Spiritual Exercises. The wealth of one man is attractive, but the warm respect from the owner is much more attractive. I enjoyed his goodness and the warm his heart was moved.

He shouted out, "When you next come in, the first item you want to buy is free for you." His heart was so good and his offer genuine, but I really have no need for an Islamic woman's gown.

I then took our guests to the Taj Mall, the newest of Amman's malls. It is mostly smoke-free and I wanted to show them that part of Amman is very westernized and has a cutting edge to it. They enjoyed it, and then I showed them the downtown area, which is very Islamic. It is poor and most of the shops are filled with cheap quality items, but one can get a good bargain there. We each had a hot milk drink with cinnamon and coconut. They didn't like it at first because it wasn't too sugary, which is the reason I liked it, but as they walked down the cool streets with the warm mug in their hands, they thought the experience was good. We passed by dark alleys with lots of shopkeepers who were closing up for the night. It was good to see both the low-end and the high-end of Amman.

They we went to Jebel Amman and strolled down Rainbow Street past the Ammonite chic shops and coffee houses. It is like Boston's Newbury Street - in a Jordanian way. It was a full night.

I wasn't able to sleep until 4 a.m. and I woke up late because of it. When I got going, my day did not stop. I collected a donated 61 key keyboard for choir use. I have to get a plug for it before I can use it. I was played only once. When I went to collect it, it took 2 hours. I had to enjoy some Bailey's Irish Cream, some cookies, tea, and fruitcake.

When I was able to leave to go to my next place, I was invited to have cookies, fruitcake, Campari with soda, tea, and chips. The house of this German woman was nicely decorated and it was in a very pleasant section of town. I was not able to eat another thing.

I had to leave to return to the Jesuit Center to have dinner. Just what I needed. The Bishop was attending a dinner for the parish council of one of the churches where I say Mass. Since we were the host, I thought it wise to stick my face in there. I had lovely conversations with parishioners who are neighbors. I just cannot get over the goodness I am finding in so many people.

I want to try to be a better person because they are making me into a better person. They have such kindness and want to be around a priest who has a good heart. They are doing something good to me.

8 comments:

  1. John, people are good to you because they sense the goodness in your heart and they want to be around that goodness. Goodness begets goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are good to you because they see your good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mark. It is amazing how they can draw the good out of others. I want to be able to do that more.

      Delete
  3. Hi John,

    Enjoyed. Also your poem on the other site.

    Happy New Year and happy piano-playing.

    Best,
    Johanna D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Johanna. Happy New Year. Many blessings upon you. I hope your husband stops by someday.

      Delete
  4. Such fullness - in every way. I really love hearing about your adventures, your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fran. This is quite an experience. There's a new character to each day. Amazing.

      Delete