Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Travel Updates

This trip is far too short, but there’s something about it that it done right. Unfortunately, I could not see everyone and had little time to breathe. I was very glad to see a few good friends and my family, but it was much too short and I want to be ab le to commit to them. Especially, it is sad to see friends who are aging or need some care in their recovery from illnesses. I even realize my own mortality and the need to get yearly physicals although my health is very good.

Not having a cell phone or consistent internet access made planning quite difficult, and I realize for future trips that planning has to be complete before I board the plane.

While in the U.S., I am reminded of the great healing effect of a smile and courtesy. Americans seem relatively happy. Of course, I’ve run into the occasional TSA agent who is a grump; actually, it is not too occasional but rather frequent. I’m glad they are offset by well-integrated people who realize their jobs are to protect and care for the public. The Detroit airport has a very grumpy TSA agent. I almost spoke to a manager about him and I would have if I did not have to rush for my next flight.

The number of genuine smiles I received has been a great blessing on the trip. Strangers, vendors, and agents have made the journey quite pleasant.

I’m very edified by Boston drivers. Mostly, they are kind and they care fo the pedestrian’s well-being. The memory of one’s driver’s action lingers. I was walking my luggage from one of the Jesuit houses in Cambridge to Harvard Square and as I approached the crosswalk, a driver from far off quickly applied his brakes. He fit it so hard that he swerved, but in doing so, the tire popped out of alignment and I thought it might fall off. He was very concerned about my safe passage.

All the other drivers stay in their lanes, they approach a highway with great caution, they wave on certain drivers or pedestrians to pass, and overall, they seem to be happy and respectful. Sure, there will be some who are aggressive and reckless, but I’m very pleased with the care and respect that I see of neighbor. Even on the plane, I witnessed great kindness. I bumped my sleepy head on the seat in front of me and the man in that seat raised his seat to the upright position. I petitioned him to lower the seat, and he eventually did, but his kindness was amazing.

My time in Boston was incredibly happy. I witnessed much grace in my friendships and family. Of course, many people wanted to prepare a meal for me. I did not even have enough time to call people who reached out to me. Several friends offered me rides to and from the airport and around the Commonwealth. I am honored by their goodness. Some friends bought clothes and other helpful goods for my return back to Jordan. I see so much goodness and I feel cared for very well.

I regret that I was unable to see my older brother and younger sister. I wish I had more time with my older sister and younger brother. My younger sister’s schedule didn’t match mine when I visited Maine and my brother offered to have a cookout for my family, but I had to run back to the College of the Holy Cross to pack and to get a few items at the pharmacy.


Unfortunately, I didn’t even get to see many brothers at the College of the Holy Cross. Aside from my Province brothers, there was also a friend from Egypt in the house and his friend from Syria. I wanted to connect with them, but time did not allow. When I stayed at Newbury Street House and the Cambridge House, I saw a few guys in passing, but had no real conversation with them. I wish it could have been different all along the way. Next time I have to figure out how to have quality time with a quantity of friends, brothers, and family.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe one way is for your family and friends to come and visit you in Jordan...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've had friends visits. For family, I'll have to wait a very long time.

      Delete