Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Ramadan

Wednesday is procedure day and prayers are keeping me calm. At my roommate's honking snore last night, I asked if I can sleep in the patient lounge for the night. The staff began to sense my frustration. Even though my roommate settled down, I was still left with fear of not sleeping again throughout the night. I also feared his sudden movements in the night that often sounded like a trapped raccoon inside an aluminum trash can. I am rested though this morning.

The other day I said, "Marhaba" to a Doctor with an Arabic name. Though he is not my doctor, he became very jovial and pleasant to me each time he saw me. I asked the origins of his name today and he said, "Persian." I said, "I will be out of commission the next few days, but if you celebrate 'Ramadan Kareem.'"

When I continued my walk, I ran into a medical professional wearing a headscarf. I poked my head into the room and said, "I know it is early, but 'Ramadan Kareem.'" She politely thanked me. As I returned down the aisle, she interrupted me and said, "Thank you. You are the first one in my workplace to ever wish me that. That is so kind of you." A nice chat ensued.

No comments:

Post a Comment