Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Life is Good

For the past two weeks, I have been back in Pymble (Sydney) where we have studied two areas of Jesuit life: social justice and our Constitutions. Though Sandy Cornish did a nice job with the social justice presentation, I very much enjoy reading the Constitutions. It reminds me of reading Canon Law. I like that a lot too. Anyways, we have had great discussions on the Constitutions and the spirit of the General Congregations who modified the Complementary Norms. I take it seriously because I wonder when I will have this great opportunity to do it again.

My garden work.

I have worked strenuously on our back lawn over the past two weeks and I am proud of the work that I have done. If maintained, it can be a great place of prayer and reflection in a natural world setting. I’ve ripped out logs that have fallen years ago. I’ve eradicated many insidious vines and creepers and I’ve removed the brush that lays on the bush floor. I’ve cleared major pathways for people to stroll through the bush and come to an opening that is teeming with birds – especially kookaburra and owls. I’m tired, but I can see tremendous results.

One nasty thing that happened because of the many rains that we’ve had recently is an increase in the number of funnel web spider sightings. I saw four last week and a novice saw another one. They are quite energetic little beings with a deadly punch to them. Thank God we have antidotes.
On the vigil of Pentecost as I was working in the fields, I stopped to admire the work I was doing and a big Kookaburra swooped down and bonked me on the head. He did not attack me, but it was a gentle nudge. I decided that he was trying to thank me for making dinner for him so accessible. OK. The disciples of Jesus gets a dove; I get a kookaburra. I can take that.

One day as I was breaking my back moving logs and cutting deep brush, a Jesuit comes down to take a look at the grounds. He remarks about the good work that I have done and then he says he will help me out. He cuts the branches off of a tropical plant, drops the long leaves on the ground, and leaves!!! I guess he is happy that he did his part, but he doesn’t realize that he created more work for me. A group of young Jesuits also cleared a small new path in the bush. Instead of taking their rubbish to the great heap of a pile right outside the clearing, they drop their rubbish right at the spot that I had recently cleared out!

One tertian came down into the clearing and remarked, “My God, this is beautiful. Think of all the possibilities for beauty and reflection by retreatants in this place.” He suggested that I ought to finish clearing it so others can enjoy it. For what reason does he think I have been doing this?

Otherwise

Otherwise, I am very happy. I enjoy my brother tertians. Adrian and Joe are good directors. The other Jesuits in the house are interesting and kind men. The novices are generous men. All is good. I feel very blessed by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment