Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Saturday, November 20, 2010

November Skies

I took a late afternoon walk today as the sun was low in the sky. I realized that it was probably a good time of day to take my camera, but decided it was more than I wanted to carry. I made the wrong choice. I really wanted to be silent and to have few interrruptions so I could walk in the still part of the day. The air temperature was in the lows 50's Fahrenheit. I did not have to get bundled up. I do enjoy November days so much. It is my month.

Even though I live in a town of 30,000 people, I feel like I live in a remote part of Montana because few people come to this part of town during the off-season. The nearby pond is flush with wildlife. The noises of the ducks and aquatic birds are the only sounds one can hear. The tall reeds muffle the winds so that the low-lying sounds of wildlife are audible. With sheltered wind, the silence transports me to a gentle place inside my soul.

As the sun was getting ready to set, it lit off some pink and orange colors behind the clouds. I wish I had taken my camera. I marveled at how inexpensive and priceless beauty is. It is free. And that which we think must be beautiful can turn out to be something else once we take a closer look.

As a diversion my walk, I went to an estate sale from the property of A. Piatt, a popular politician of Gloucester in the 1940's. The estate was sold and most of the fixtures were to be sold. The house was in rather good condition, but it was old and dusty. It needs refreshing. The clothing and other articles were strewn around the house as if it were the room of a seven year old who threw a tantrum. I'm sure more items would have sold if they were dusted off or cleaned. The laundry could have been folded and neatly displayed.

In one room that might have been the dining room, the mosaic around the fireplace was stunning. The patterns of griffins delicately adorned the wall and mantleplace. The pattern went from floor to ceiling and had vibrant colors that gave me delight. The fireplace well was the deepest I have seen. But with all this beauty inside, the setting sun gast a pink glow on the ocean waves. The other guests and I were captivated by it and we imagined that there were great feasts held in this dining area.

I continued my walk to the lighthouse A house directly across from Black Bess was torn down this week and taken away in two dumpsters. All the time and effort to build it and it was gone in two days. This is the sort of place that tears down a 2 million dollar house to replace it with a 7 million dollar house.

I passed a familiar gentleman who also walks each day. He is a pleasantly handsome man in his 50's and he wears expensive walking clothers. I want to ask him if he is in pain because he is always grimacing. He makes sure to acknowledge me, but grunts instead of saying a greeting. I want to tell him I don't need for him to acknowledge me. I hope he can work out his anger in some way so that even a walk can be pleasant.

I contrast him with a man who was driving a larger truck on our small roads two days ago. He splashed me with mud water and the blessed man stopped to apologize. He was sincere. I forgave him easily and tried to let him know he didn't have to worry. I am lifted up by his kindness. I want to act like this man.

I then saw a car pass by me whose license plate read, "Imagine." I could not even see which state it was licensed, but it helped bring me to a more favorable state.

As I approached the lighthouse, I stopped to watch the final descent of the sun, and as I looked over my shoulder I noticed the rising full moon. It was as if the sun was handing off its light authority to the moon. They seemed to part ways and thank each other for its role in creation. It was a surreal moment when the seagulls were lifted up by the wind and hovered in place. Everything came to a standstill, and then the sun gave a flicker before it dropped out of view. I wish I took my camera with me.

I passed a couple who were walking their dogs that were adorned with bright green lights so cars could see them and avoid hitting them. The people though were wearing dark clothing and were difficult to spot. Hmmm. We do value our pets more than ourselves, but I can relate to their intentions. I sometimes bring a walking stick with me because if I car is approaching me, the driver may not necessarily move away to give me space, but he or she will swerve awy if I am holding a stick so the car does not get damaged.

I decided to extend my walk around the circle at Eastern Point. I'm glad I did. An owner was taking pictures of her dog, Ella, with the full moon as a backdrop. I volunteered to take a photo of the two of them with her Iphone. I wish I had my camera because the reflection on the still pond was sublime. I'll trust myself more fully next time.

Just as I was leaving, a duck crossed the road. I waited while she crossed, but then at least 15 others crossed the road as well. It took about 15 minutes for them all to cross. It was like a Snow White fairy tale where all the wildlife seemed to be in harmony with each other. And of course as I finally passed by the ducks, I saw a rabbit at the gates to Niles Pond Road. I'm happy he still is alive because I've seen the Fisher Cat and her two pups in this area.

Now it is dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment