Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Monday, April 4, 2011

Spring Odors

Yesterday, I took a long walk along Gloucester Harbor. The fragrance of earthiness is breaking into the atmosphere. Daffodils and tulips are plunging their way out of their winter tombs and not even a mighty snow will dissuade them from their ascent to glory. Reds are visible in the spiny vines that line the roadways. Glowing greens tells us that picker bushes are beginning to make their move. The warming sun is making the tree buds potent. While all seems still, life will burst forth in three weeks. Even this morning, I came across another sign of spring as I wiped a spider's web off my forehead as I checked out the path to the Stations of the Cross.

Traffic in increasing. A greater number of cars swing suddenly into the parking lot of Niles Beach without the courtesy of any intentions of doing so. Walkers are returning and they have picked up their pace. Ocean lovers trespass our property with their parked cars so they can get get a nostril-full of ocean air. Dog walkers generously leave their unwrapped offerings behind because nature is so vast on the Point.

I had a break-through yesterday with the Stations of the Cross. An area that was extremely choked with vines made a few stations impassable. For days, I have been chipping away at this entanglement making it look a little less daunting each time. Yesterday, I removed the remaining large trunks so I can remove the broken trees. A pathway will be restored. More clearning is needed, but I have reached the tipping point. As soon as the rains stop, I'll clear the rest and the land will be passable again. I am not foolish in thinking the vines will not grow back; I know I will be diligent in pruning.

On Friday night, I watched a French film called, "Les Choristes (The Chorus)." My fellow tertians watched it during our time in Australia, but I was never able to get around to watching it. I wished I watched it with them because I wanted to talk with someone about it afterwards. It is powerful. It is much like "Mr. Holland's Opus" in that it shows the transformative power of music to bring joy to a broken person and dreams to fulfillment. It is a theme that shows up again and again, but the story is a wrenching one. I recommend it. It was released in 2004.

On Saturday, I attended a healing workshop at Boston College. I was struck by the generosity of BC to host this at no cost to the participants. Three hundred people attended. Each workshop had quality presenters. It seems Boston College is moving towards its goal of becoming the national center for theological and pastoral studies. I am proud of their work to be involved in the lives of dedicated ministers.

Yesterday, Eastern Point Retreat House held a day of recollection for married couples. Diana Villegas was the presenter. It gave the spouses a chance to reflect upon their spiritual lives together and the role prayer plays in keeping them "beholding" God and one another.

I attended a concert at St. Paul Church in Harvard Square that featured three choruses and an ensemble. Since it is late-Lent, they performed J.S. Bach's St. John's Passion.  I was so happy for the director because over 500 people attended the concert. Support came from all over.  The soloists were phenomenal, especially the Evangelist who narrated the story. The power of music and poetry has enormous power for the spiritual life.

I topped the day off with dinner and dessert with two Jesuits friends who are tertians in the New England program. I had quite a restorative weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment