Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

St. Petersburg, Florida

My first days in St. Petersburg were very nice. I stayed with a friend who is a guest director at Eastern Point Retreat House. She invited me to direct a retreat at Tampa's Franciscan Retreat Center. Though the weather in Detroit was in the high 90's, it was about 80's when I arrived in St. Petersburg.

I was amazed at the many connections that my hosts have with Detroit. I brough them some bread from a bakery in the Woodbridge section of town near Wayne State University. She and her husband know the bakery well. She is a Ph.D. graduate of Wayne State University. Her husband worked for the Detroit Free Press for a number of years.

I arrived on the night they were celebrating their 41st wedding anniversary.

Her husband works at the reputable Poynter Institute that trains and provides many professional services for journalists. I encountered Poynter Institute at the Nieman Foundation's workshops in Cambridge, Massachusetts. One of the Vice Presidents, Roy Peters Clark, publishes books and articles to help journalists view their craft from different angles. Check out their website www.poynter.org. You will find something interesting to read each time you visit their site.

I am enjoying the food in Florida. Pecan pancakes, Georgia peaches, navel oranges, and other rich fruits do not pass by my lips. I haven't been swimming or kayaking yet, but I will do that once I get settled for the retreat. I look forward to directing and being of service to the Franciscans and their associates.

No comments:

Post a Comment