Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Summer 30-day retreat

The summer 2011 30-day retreat came to a close today with the last retreatants leaving around 1:00 p.m. We will miss seeing them around the place and listening to their incredible stories of faith.


Here they are!

After ending the retreat direction on St. Ignatius Day, we had a few days of debriefing and informal sharing that ended on Blessed Peter Faber Day. Now they are on their way home. May they travel safely and integrate gently back into their lives.

I am productive today. After doing laundry, some lawn work, and updating my blogs (of which I've been delinquent), I met a friend for lunch, watched an episode of Midsomer Murders, and balanced my monthly bank statement. I even tidied up my desk. I have the afternoon and evening free so I'll just weed the gardens and water them.

I marvel at the Spiritual Exercises of Ignatius of Loyola. Each time I direct them, I learn something more about myself and my early formation. Ignatius frequently comes into my prayer as a gentle, kind man who is a close friend of Jesus. The power of the Exercises is incredible, but this power is not an in-your-face kind of power. It is more like the silent stillness that follows the storm, just as Elijah experienced in the cave on Mount Horeb. I am delighted that these men and women were courageous enough to do the Exercises and I'm in awe at the depth of their experience with Christ.

My wish is that more and more people would be able to take advantage of this life-giving, life-saving experience. Christ wants you to come. Please say yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment