Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Sunday, December 4, 2011

A full Week

One of my regular practices is to pause during the day and ask the question, "Where were you, O God, in the morning (of afternoon) of my day?" I always enjoy the answer. I am less surprised than when I first began doing it. In fact, I come to expect God's nearness in certain events, but all the same it is nice when God confirms it.

I had a pleasant time visiting family on Thanksgiving Day. I enjoyed the Friday after Thanksgiving for a couple of reasons. First, I attended my first-ever Black Friday venture. It was quite pleasant because I went to Home Depot - one of my favorite stores. Among my small collection of purchases was an artificial Christmas tree that was reduced by $110.00 to $45 dollars. I bought the last one with the multi-colored lights.

It is my first bought Christmas tree. I was in the habit of merely getting a pine branch and decorating it because it meant I did not have to store many tree ornaments and a single strand of light would work well. It always fits a small place. However, since I have such a large room, it beckons for a tree that speaks of fullness. I am still able to collect pines and place them in my fireplace. I still decorate those pines with lights. I also like getting a strand of purple lights and pink ones to keep the Advent feel about the commerical Christmas season.

One of my first jobs was at Mr. Christmas where I assembled tree branches. It was not a happy job and I lasted only two weeks because I was going out of my mind in boredom. It hurt when the crossing branch whipped around the main stem. I recall proudly hitting a high of 2,200 branches a day during one of my first days and being scolded for not reaching 2,500. I don't recall any reason why I would stay at that job.

The second reason I enjoyed last Friday was that I could get outside to do some landscape therapy. The weather had better beautiful the entire month of November and yet I could seldem get outside to do any work. On this pleasant 60 degree day, nothing could stop me. The retreat house was quiet and the air was fresh.

I knew this day would be the calm that precedes the storm.

Saturday was the first day of our concert with the Cape Ann Symphony. It was quite festive. We did a good job, and I think we improved for Sunday's concert. When I stepped into Fuller Auditorium, I recalled that the flutist and principal cellist were married a year ago. I bought them a small cake so they could celebrate the fact that someone else remembered their first anniversary.

As soon as the retreat ended, priests from across the country began arriving for their annual retreat. We look forward to this retreat all year long because these men value the time to be with the Lord with the gifts of comaraderie and Ignatian spirituality to guide them. We are grateful to journey with them and listen to their stories. They inspire us.

As the retreat ended, I donned colorful clothing and headed to nearby Rockport where I would join he Dock Square carolers at the arrival of Santa Claus for the tree lighting ceremony. The entire town showed up. It was quite an extraordinary event.

My heart was warmed when I saw so many children lining up to get a glimpse of Santa, but what was surprised me was the expectant looks on the faces of adults who still feel Santa's magic. People want to be seen and heard by Santa. They want his jolliness in their lives. They want to touch the hem of his garments. Yes, people still believe and they become much happier people.

Yes, I feel content today. I'm in a loving Christmas spirit. Thanks, Santa. Now let's wait for the advent of our Lord.

1 comment:

  1. "I'm in a loving Christmas spirit." Yes, indeed; but don't let the spirit of Advent pass you by.

    --St. John the Baptist

    ReplyDelete