Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Friday, December 9, 2011

Russian Icon Museum

The Russian Icon Museum in Clinton is worth the trip. Clinton is a small town fifteen miles northeast of Worcester, Massachusetts. It sits next to Central Park, which is America's oldest public park. It contains a world class exhibit of Russian Icons that is professionally displayed. It appears to be well funded. The entry fee is only $5.00.

I was pleased with the layout and the professional courtesy I received. The main exhibit spans three floors with the top floor designated as the main exhibit hall.

A new wing off the main floor expands the space for the permanent collection. The lower floor contains a small exhibit room, individual research caves, a lengthy conference center, and a Russian tea room. The main floor has the exhibit hall plus a well-stocked gift shop and a new wing designed for temporary exhibits. The staff and docents were very welcoming and kind. The museum is handicap-accessible.

Since it was the feast of the Immaculate Conception of Mary, icons of Mary dominated the space. I was impressed with the number of programs offered for feast days and the Advent/Christmas seasons. I wanted to see the subtle differences in the icons between the eastern and Roman churches.

In some icons, the Christ-child appeared as a man in smaller form. Some appearances showed his legs, while the Roman church covers his legs. Sometimes he is holding a scroll or book, while in many western icons he is holding a globe. The Russian icons don't appear to have the subtle face halves that are customary in the west.

I was surprised to learn that Catholicism reached Russian in the 10th century. Shortly afterwards, Muslims pushed north from the Ottoman Empire to extend their reach into Russia. When I asked about some of the general historical events in Russia and Europe, I was disappointed in the lack of conversation with the staff. The staff could say something of the particular icon, but could not go more broadly than that. I was looking for some variations in the eastern and Roman traditions and the depth of knowledge of either tradition was superficial, however, it did not diminish my very positive experience of the museum and the courteous staff.

Two of the most enlightening icons about Russian religious sensibilities were "The Last Judgment" and "The Ladder." So many stories are being told in each icon. They are rich and filled with activities that inspire a person to do good deeds and they caution the observer to stay away from evil thoughts and deeds. Both illustrate how the forces of good and evil are at work in the battle for a human soul.

Afterwards, I spent the afternoon at St. Joseph's Abbey in Spencer, Massachusetts. I was able to attend a few liturgy of the hour services that celebrated Mary. My conversations with the monks showed me how good God is to us.

Then I went to visit friends from the area in Rutland. I haven't been in Rutland for over a decade. It is a charming town. We had a nice dinner and conversation about prayer and Ignatian Spirituality. It was an Advent evening.

Quite nice. I have nice friends. Everyone I met yesterday was so happy and lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment