Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Retreat to Belfast

This past weekend I traveled to Belfast, Maine to direct a retreat and make a few days of prayer. I typically lead St. Brendan the Navigator parish on a Lenten or Advent retreat. I love the choice of the parish name, especially as all the towns are on Maine's coastal waterways.

The trip north was fun. To break up the four hour drive, I met a friend in Portsmouth, New Hampshire for lunch. We ate at the Library restaurant near the downtown area, which is furnished with many old books and has the feel of an English smoking room.

I called on a friend in Portland before stopping at LL Bean's in Freeport. From there, I met former Cathedral choir members who live in Bath. They are in the process of selling their house because they just bought another one. Each sale was done with great rapidity. They are excited because the town of Bath is finally getting their first seafood restaurant. One would expect there would be half a dozen, but this is the first one in the area. It was great to see them and to catch up on the many events of their lives.

The retreat was great fun. It was on "being open to God" and "healing painful memories." Twenty-six parishioners attended. They were very silent and took advantage of the great opportunity for prayer. I enjoy being with them as they evolve through the dynamic changes of the Portland diocese.

On the return trip, I caught up with a friend who was a colleague at Cheverus. She is now a mom of two young children and enjoys being a parent to them. She and her husband are enjoying their new house. I'm delighted I had a chance to catch up on their lives. It makes me so happy that people are doing well with their choices in life.

Now, we are beginning another retreat. This retreat will canvas three great days - St. Patrick's, Laetare Sunday, and St. Joseph's. This is a powerful three days. Besides that, spring temperatures are expected in the area. All is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment