Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Evensong

Last night, after returning from the priestly ordinations in New York City, I attended a night of song and prayer in a home of friends from Cambridge. We shared a light meal and light conversation before singing evening prayer.

It was a terrific experience for the eight of us. As best we could, we took the SATB parts of the St. Paul Hymnal and produced beautiful music. Our gathering was atypical as we have four tenors and one bass. Typically, tenors are in short supply. It was good to come home to very good music, but a type I have not sung for years.

I added myself to the bass line, which made my eyes look at the bottom line and not the words or the words but not the notes. It was awkward. Also, the music was set to the old liturgy, since a newer translation has not been completed. I noticed that more of the new liturgy is stuck in my mind than I expected. The new liturgy does not flow well at all, but somehow I've made the transition.

Anyways, the long and short of it is that it was a beautiful night among good friends with high quality liturgical music. I want to do this more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment