Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Saturday, September 8, 2012

A Full Day at the Reservation

On my last full day on the Pine Ridge reservation, I began my morning with a walk to the top of the hills to an Indian-made monument symbolizing three warriors. It was a fairly good hike into the hill country where deer were abundant. On the way up I passed by a sweat lodge, which is about what I expected it to look like. It was rather low to the ground because you don't want to have to fill up great spaces with heat and steam. After my descent, I went to the Heritage Center to look at the fine items in the gift shop and art collection.

I concelebrated the Mass of the Holy Spirit for the high school. Fr. George, the president, gave a fine homily. Of note of the events that encapsulated the Lakota Indian culture were: the azalea rite, which is a washing over of smoke from burnt sage grass during the penitential rite, the chanting and beating of drums during the pro- and recessionals, the procession that includes bringing forward the Lakota-style mitre, and an honoring of the ancestral spirits. The chapel windows were designed to tell a story of creation in the Lakota symbolism and the two circular windows at top of the church are to permit the rays from sunrise and sunset to pass through and illuminate the church. It was a lovely ceremony.

Fr. George and I then drove to Porcupine to attend a conference on Strengthening Family Responses during periods of Alcoholism and Drug Addiction. Frs. Peter and Rick were there with a handful of men and women from the Tribe. The speaker was a native who is trained in presenting topics on recovery and good mental health. This topic is one of the most crucial ones for stability of the family and development of the tribe.

After a tour of the parish K-8 school, we then drove to Manderson where the Jesuits staff a parish. The road took us back to Wounded Knee and eventually back to Red Cloud Indian school.

It certainly was great to be with the Jesuit community. Three scholastics serve the school  and many volunteers teach in the school. Many have been Jesuit-influenced and these communities live like Jesuit Volunteer Communities. Though the work is difficult, the community seems to be happy because it is a very important work of the Society.

Many solid Jesuits are at the school. My friend, Dr. Dave does amazing work at the hospital. The superior, Rick, is a compassionate man with a soulful spirit. President George has an easy way about him as he covers responsibilities for many areas in the school and community. Peter retains incredible energy and passion. The brothers in the house are stellar examples of what it means to serve the people of God and the community with great devotion.

I was left with many questions about the reservation and my assumptions of what is best for the people. I can't answer that and I shouldn't answer that. This land is theirs and they will make their own decisions. It will  undoubtedly be a different logic than what I have. As my friend Dave says, "we have to hold the other as other." They are not extensions of us and we have to give them freedom to live as they see fit. There's great talent, intellect, desire, and potential on the reservation. I have no doubt that good things will emerge and the Jesuits will be there in whatever capacity is needed.

I'm blessed to have been able to experience much good life and discipleship. I truly am edified and I will hold  the Jesuit community and the Lakota Sioux in my hearts when I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment