Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Friday, October 12, 2012

A Pleasant Day

Today was a very pleasant day. I began the morning with an appointment for the RCIA program. It was a nice introduction. Then I went to Mass at noon at St. Mary's of Nazareth in Jebel Webdeih and then had lunch at the choir house, which is an apartment the choir rents to hold their gatherings during the week. After the Friday and Sunday noon-time Masses, members of the choir will prepare a feast-like meal for the 30 people who show up. After the priest leaves, singing and dance fill the hallways.

 After a leisurely afternoon (and reading about the Vice Presidential debate), Al, a member of my Jesuit community, and I had dinner in Jebel Webdeih. He hadn't really spent time there so I showed him around. He was quite pleased with the area; I was quite pleased to feel like a host. We ate at Oliva's, a pizza and pasta restaurant that opened nine months ago. The place has a classy feel to it and we hope it gets more seating. The owner said more furniture will arrive on Monday inshallah. The pizza was very good and the personal size was enough for Al and I to split comfortably. It turns out it was a good thing that Al's pasta order was never taken. We would have had more than enough food. The language barrier makes it difficult to communicate with any semblance of certainty. Anyways, I will return.

We then walked around the streets to look at the storefronts. There's a chocolate bar, an adjacent chocolate store, nuts and confectioners, aromatic bakeries, ice cream shops, and Jordanian markets, and of course, coffee houses. The place actually feels like a college town. The neighborhood is small and orderly. I suspect I will be able to take art classes somewhere in the neighborhood.

Now, time to write tomorrow's homily.


No comments:

Post a Comment