Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Monday, October 15, 2012

Shopping Cures All

I worked hard today and I have absolutely nothing to show for it. I set out to write a memo and did not get beyond the address. Not all was lost though.

First, I realize how dependent I am upon the goodness of many Jordanians. They are very kind and helpful and they revere their priests. In one of their tasks today, they contacted the Post Office to see if a box that I shipped on July 23rd had arrived. I sent it with a companion box on the same day and I received that one two months ago. After a bit of a search, they located my box and my Jordanian friends went to collect the box. After paying a small customs fee, I'll have my mail tomorrow.

Also, I very pleased that my "Living with Christ" subscription for November arrived. I'm so glad it is on time. That reassures me. I even received a postcard from a friend. Once I get my scanner worker, I'll post the image on my blog.

I had a challenging meeting with a man who wanted to speak with the pastor today. Then I did some sacramental preparation and had another afternoon appointment. In between, I tried to bring some organization to the ministry and then I went to see the Teresians who are celebrating their feast day today. I may even have my phone messaging service set up to receive calls.

We had a lovely lamb chop for lunch with lebani and so I made popcorn for dinner. I was goofing at the process. Nowadays, we just pop a bag in the microwave and voila! popcorn is prepared. Not so on Al-Razi Street. I put some vegetable oil in the bottom of a heated pan and then some kernels of corn that immediately popped and overflowed onto the stove. It was fun to do. I haven't made popcorn in this way in 30 years.

I was disappointed when I washed my clothes to discover that I also washed my pedometer. I hope it works. I fear not. It seems to take 1.5 hours to wash my clothes when I put it on the 14 minute setting, but it only takes about 25 minutes to dry them.

Thinking of my faulty pedometer, I thought I would walk up to C-town grocery store in Jebel Al Hussein. C-town is an Islamic grocery store that has a haberdashery upstairs. I was there last week. When I went upstairs this evening, everything in the store was removed and the doors were locked, thought the lower grocery store remained opened. Bummer.

Oh, well. It provided me the opportunity to discover a few barber shops. There's on near my house, but I discovered a shop across the street from him whose barber looks a little more cleaned-up. His place is in a small hotel. But as I walked along, I saw four other shops. I decided I will go to the one where there are men waiting for their haircuts.

I passed by two litters of feral kittens. They tore apart some trash bags to collect their food. I so much wanted to bring them home and give them something to eat where they wouldn't have to worry about distractions during dinner. They are cute and I wish they had a better start at life.

I decided to walk down Jebel Hussein, which is the garment shopping district. I was quite pleased. Many people were shopping or sitting down for a smoke. I had nothing to buy, except that radio alarm clock, but I did a fair amount of window shopping. There are lots of jewelry stores and places that sell scarves. Of course, there are clothing shops for men and women, and every street corner has several corner stores selling phones. 

I felt like James Bond when I would take a turn into a building or alley only to find something unique with only Arabic lettering. Some of the alleyways were darkened, but they would lead to boutiques where people would gather for coffee or conversation. Some of the buildings must have been glorious at one time. Some inner malls have lots of vacant spaces. They are quite grand. Most of the malls are filled to 100% capacity. It was great to see.

Most of the mannequins were of lily white models. Once I got into some of the side-malls, they had more of a olive complexion, but I really liked the silver ones that had jagged edges to the faces. Very artistic. And of course, I chuckled when I saw a line-up of busts that showed off the head scarves. I wish I had my camera for that display alone. 

I felt like I was on an adventure. I came across some respectable coffee houses and pastry shops. I've also identified a few places for a sit down meal. It felt like I was finally identifying with the city around me. There's a lot of excitement and it expands my world. I can just sit and people watch from time to time.

I noticed how clean the streets were. With so many people gathered into one district, the place was remarkably free of litter. Most of the sidewalks were intact as well. Once you get off the beaten path, the sidewalks become iffy. I like the intrigue though of wandering through those areas and discovering unique places.

I came across a music shop. I might find ways to raise money to get a keyboard for the parish or some other musical instruments. Right now guitars and tambourines are used at Masses. I'd like to get a basic guitar, but the prices were written in symbols I can't yet read.

So I feel a bit energized though I am ready for bed.




4 comments:

  1. Great to hear that you are being revered !! :-))
    It makes such a difference when you get your packages. I remember waiting for a package in Malawi( a very early word processor before laptops and computers-this was 1991!) and it was getting me down as I wanted to write up my experiences and do school work etc. I was way out in the "stix " and had no transport at that time- I walked in every day to the post office and the staff were getting really embarassed and at a loss to deal with it - it eventually arrived and it transpired that it had been sitting in the airport for weeks.!! Such was normal for Malawian time - very different from what we are used to.
    Nice to hear you are getting to grips with shops and district. But please do take care off the main streets.
    By the way What is Lebani ?
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received my package today. It feels good to have everything that I forwarded. Can you believe that your typewriter was sitting at the airport? It could be infuriating or laughable or a whole range of feelings. I hear your advice about straying too far.

      Lebani is a cream cheese-like yogurt that is spreadable on breads or used for cooking meats in a white sauce.

      Delete
  2. Ahh, I can see you walking around. And unless there is more than one C-Town, perhaps there is, I have to find a photo of mine and post it for you.

    It seems like every day you encounter so much! What adventure.

    PS- real popcorn! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, I have come across 4 or 5 C-towns. There are probably more. Yes, these seem like mind-expanding adventures.

      The popcorn was great.

      Delete