Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Ramblings

When I awoke a few days ago, I experienced pleasant dissonance. The morning after a rainy day made it feel like it was a late April spring day. The weather was very warm and there was promise of new growth since the water replenishes life. I sat under the trellis and did my morning prayers as the sun warmed the day. It felt like a long cold New England winter was finally over, but fall is just beginning in Amman. I'll take it.

I do like the rain. I get very excited and no one can understand why. I enjoy having lots of green leafy things around me. I have to get a plant for my room so it feels alive. I'm still looking out for something distinctive that will perk up my room.

I like the cold as well. No one can understand this. I feel like I breathe well and deeply. I am warned by everyone to wear more clothing so I don't get the night sickness again. I have to listen to them since I've been sick three times already. Now, I'm hot because I feel like I am wearing too many layers. I laid down rugs in my office and bedroom so the floors would not be too cold in the morning when I rise. It makes a nice difference because I love to kick off my shoes and be free.

Sometimes I get the sensation that eyes are upon me. I discovered why today. This is not paranoia. We turned the heat of this weekend, maybe prematurely, but the feral cats from the neighborhood find my bedroom window an inviting place to be. They feel the heat from the indoors and from the steady sun that beats down upon the place and they just bask in it. Since they are anxious, whenever I move, they jump down from their perch.

Last week I attended a Thanksgiving Dinner on Friday. Thanksgiving Day was pleasantly quiet and I slowly worked on a few projects. I was glad for the effort and result. I completed the tricky Advent/Christmas schedule of masses.

The meal was terrific: turkey, ham, a light carrot casserole, sweet potatoes, stuffing, lumpy mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, gravy, green bean casserole, and a few tasty tidbits. Desserts were a dish deep apple pie, lots of chocolates, a strawberry cream cake, and dates and cookies with ice cream.

It was the first time I was able to wear my silk jacket. It is a great color. I received complimentary  comments on the fashion.

When I was at dinner, several teachers were there. It dawned upon me that I feel like a first year teacher without a classroom. As a parish priest, I have to run to five different worship sites for Mass and I have to take everything with me. It keeps one feeling unsettled, but everything gets done. It is an image for me to hold in my mind so I always remind myself to be gentle to myself.

On Sunday, since it was very warm outside, I treated myself to a gourmet pizza at lunchtime. It was a three-meat pizza, but it was far from overloaded. Thank God. Toppings are sparse on the pizza, which I enjoy. I sat in my favorite restaurant and had a pie while watching the neighbors pass by. Since it felt like April, my spirits were buoyed.

I upgraded the music player that was in my room. I went to Radio Shack to purchase an atomic clock. Since they didn't have one in stock and ordered one for me, they felt bad they had to call me back to the store. Therefore, they discounted any item for me in the store. I got a good deal and did not pay much for the speaker system. I have been enjoying much better quality music.

I'm delighted to not have to be caught up with Black Friday or Cyber Monday advertisements. I never really bought into it, but the U.S. media does influence consumer patterns a great deal.

I conducted a choir rehearsal Sunday night. It went so well. Choir members who were afraid to sing learned to open up their mouths. We did some stretching and voice techniques and then learned some new songs. They were delighted with what they were learning. They really took to Dona Nobis Pacem because it is a song sung in rounds. I couldn't stop them. They walked out the door singing the song. They were skipping as they walked out the door.

My sock woes continue. I noticed two pairs of socks had holes in them. I did a load of laundry on Sunday and one of the socks that did not have a hole in it disappeared into the machine. I placed aside the ones I would darn. They are good socks. I've had them for at least 8 years.

I had a week of feeling well. I'm thankful for that. Speaking of feeling well, a friend said he wanted to walk daily and asked if I would be his partner. I agreed. The first day he overslept. We decided to go later in the day at 2:30. He never came. Life in Jordan.

Last night, I went to a hotel to meet a man who is the father of three Cheverus students I know. We went to the lounge on the top floor of the Grand Hyatt Amman and had a perrier. Later on his work colleagues stopped by and also had a perrier. We then went out to dinner at a posh restaurant (Fahkr al Dinh) off the Second Circle. It was lovely. Almost twenty-four hours has passed and I still feel stuffed.

At the restaurant, I felt as if I was at a swank Boston or New York hotel. Most of the patrons were very well dressed with very expensive suits. It was quite an evening. One of the nicest appetizers was a steak tartar, but it was made with lamb. Very smooth tasting. I can tell this is the place to see and be seen in Amman. It is where many deals are brokered. It is quite a different environment from the one in which me and my parishioners live. It is good to experience both worlds.

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have experienced a very interesting and peace-filled several days. I'm sure you appreciate the times of quiet reflection but the times spent with others are fascinating and stimulating as well. What a blessing you are to the people in Amman and also to us with whom you share reflections on your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I've been healthy too. The dinner last night was something, and yet I don't want to eat like that for a long time. The people are fascinating and my experiences are enriching. Thanks for your good comments.

      Delete
  2. John, I'm glad that you are feeling better and over your illness. I can't imagine how unsettling such a move might be, however.

    And the Hyatt, my Amman home, thank you to the generosity of a Jordanian friend, a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fran. Yes, the Hyatt is quite a nice place. Everyone in the hotel likes the Italian food served there. I'll have to check it out sometime.

      Delete
  3. John,
    How do you have a choir if Mass is scattered over 5 sites?
    Does each site have it's own choir?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have five different ones and it is very difficult to organize. I feel like a first year teacher without a classroom having to lug everything with me and create everything from scratch. It is extra work. Each location has variations of their own choirs and there are challenges within each one. Very difficult to coordinate. Strong personalities, varied levels of competencies, and voice ranges, different power dynamics. The choir members basically hear and repeat. Most of them do not read music, but they are there to give it their best shot.

      Delete