Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Sunday, December 23, 2012

A Circus


Boundaries.

Today at Mass I sang in the choir to lend a hand. Most of them did not show until after the Gospel because they were out caroling. Right after communion, four stands were placed in front of the altar and four Japanese musicians stepped out to play their wind instruments. Huh? They were actually very good. I asked the presider if he knew how long they would play because we needed to end mass and he said, "It would be impolite to interrupt them," to which I replied, "It is impolite for them to interrupt us!" They said and played afterwards and most of the people stayed. Those who had to leave left right after Mass. I went to the priest who runs the church and said, "What's up?" and I asked him, "How long do they intend to play?' Only half an hour. So, I walked over to the lead musician and asked him to step aside so we can finish mass. He politely obliged.

Oh, the things you see in a new culture.

I went out for a walk tonight with a neighbor who came over at 6:30 p.m. He was going to get a haircut and we planned a walk later in the week. He said that he might come over around 8:00 p.m. if his haircut didn't take much time. He came back at 9:30 p.m. and said he was ready. I said "No, I'm tired." He stayed around for half an hour and he created so much energy that we went out for a walk.

He went downtown as we knew the area was closing up. There are many DVD stores for videos that are pirated costing a JD each. We went through a few antique and junk shops. Some items were interesting. We glanced into some restaurants and bars and passed some Turkish baths. Every place is filled with smoke.

We walked by the Roman theatre, which is always cool to see. My neighbor admonished me because I'll find something curious and will go explore it, but it usually is in a darkened alley. He wants me to be wary of the Salafists and others who don't like Americans. I just don't think of that. Earlier this week, I walked into a stairwell of a building that was pitch black until you opened the doors to the next level. The elevators look precarious because there is no inner door so  the stairs look safer.

I kept telling him to look at the Christmas lights and he assured me that they are up all year long and they are related to Islamic customs.

At the very end of our walk, we each had a steamed milk drink that was quite good. It is like sweetened condensed milk that is topped with cinnamon and coconut. It was very festive and calorie laden, I'm sure. I asked him why we always stop and get some high caloric item at the end of our walks. It defeats the purpose of walking.

I enjoyed glancing at the shops. I now know where the better falafel places are located and other specialty shops. One day I'll have to buy one of their cassock like gowns that Muslims wear on the streets.

Yesterday was another workout with the choirs. Fridays kill me because the two choirs had a major falling out years ago and they won't work with each other. I have to do two separate rehearsals, which makes it a very long day. I struggled at Mass yesterday to sing, play the drums, keep time, and direct the girl who plays the triangle.

I saw four beautiful feral cats and a scraggly one in our garden yesterday. They were close to me and signaled that they wanted to be petted. I stooped down as I called them near and the only one who came to me was the beat up one that looked awful to touch. Wouldn't you know, that was the one who needed it the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment