Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Chopsticks

After the late-morning Mass today, four choir members and I ate at a very good Chinese restaurant. The food was well prepared and as we were eating I noticed that they were all using forks while I was using chopsticks. I called it to their attention and they replied, "Father, we don't know how to use chopsticks." Go Figure. So I taught them, but the said it was too difficult to learn. Can you imagine an Anglo teaching four Filipina women to eat with chopsticks?

 We can never know about the lives of others until we ask, but sometimes we don't get that chance. The other day after Fr. Larry (a visiting Jesuit) and I gave the reconciliation service, we went out for pizza. Three women were sitting next to us. They were college-age. They ordered a carbonara spaghetti dish that looked very good. They said "Mmmm" as it was brought to them. The three shared it as it looked like a rich appetizer. I thought no more about it for ten minutes of so, but then I had a feeling that the shared pasta dish was going to be their only meal. It hit me like an anchor that they must still be hungry. I called for them to offer them each a slice of pizza, but they were out the door too fast for them to know I was calling them. I wish I thought of offering my food sooner. I must become more aware of situations like that so I can respond more quickly.

I announced that we would begin a weekly food drive at our parishes for the women at the shelter. I hadn't realized how much it cost to feed all of them. I realize our offering will be meager, but it might allow them to have just a little more than they planned. Why haven't we been doing this all along?

I was moved today by three women was brought their babies to me to be baptized on Christmas Day. They had tears in their eyes when I asked them to call me so we can set up a time to baptism and to offer baptismal preparation. They are simple women and all their friends have the day off on Christmas and New Years so they want to have the baptism on those days. Poor things. I can see their desire to have a meaningful, happy celebration. Their lives are very difficult. Perhaps they will find that they can celebrate Christmas joyfully and then they will have a second occasion in which to celebrate their child's baptism.

I know that wearing clerics is a major symbol to many people. I wear clerics when I go out for sacramental purposes, Masses, and visitations, but it is a major symbol of God's presence for Christians on the street. As I walk through the neighborhood, I'll talk with people who are setting up their Christmas trees. They are very pleased that a priest stops by to visit them. It is giving me new ideas about more visible to the neighborhood. We have several houses of religious nearby and people like that a priest comes to say hello. Anyways, it makes me happy to meet them.

No comments:

Post a Comment