Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas Day

My first Christmas Day in the Middle East has come to an end. After four masses and four parties, I am exhausted. I am always working at the parties. I think my homily was well received. It may have been televised on the Jordan networks because television cameras came into the church just as mass began.

The choirs did a fine job. I am proud of them because they have done a number of challenging songs - especially culturally challenging. One woman was in her glory because she was playing the triangle and she figured out a methodology that worked for her after she met with me for some training. She had an opportunity to tell her story and I was glad to hear it.

I know what it is like to have paparazzi following. I know how Brad Pitt feels, even though I don't look like him. I must have had over 1,000 photographs taken of me with the congregation.

The people dressed lovely. Men wore suits and ties. Women had flowers in their hair and they wore fine linens. The Indian women wore ceremonial saris that were spectacular. It was a blessed day for everyone.

The graciousness and generosity of many were staggering. This is what I am going to remember this Christmas season. Generosity and that people had real smiles of joy on their faces. Christmas erupted across Jordan. Even Islamic friends were so nice to everyone.

Today was a much quieter day. I spent the first part of the morning organizing what belonged in my office and my bedroom. Not everything is put away, but it will be easier to do so tomorrow. Today was just to clear things out. Three loads of laundry are being done and I may even darn two pairs of socks tonight.

We had a turkey dinner for a casual lunch today. The lamb was excellent as well. I invited to U.S. citizens over. Since their household is two, they did not cook a turkey. We provided a nice meal for them and for our other guests.

Now it is time for a Christmas nap so I can greet the other guests who come later in the day. Fa la la la la, la la la la.

I do miss my friends back home. I wish them all peace and happiness.

6 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas! May you get the gift of a restful day....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does a four hour mid-day nap qualify as a restful day? We had a lovely lunch and I invited two Americans to share it with us. I enjoyed their company a great deal.

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear that your first Christmas in Jordan brought you much joy and that you brought much joy to many as well. Have a well-deserved rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynda. I hope you had a good St. Stephen's Day as well. I rested well today.

      Delete
  3. Glad that you had a good day. Your presence is surely a light for many. Peace to you always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fran. Peace to you as well. May you have a blessed New Year and a full Christmas season.

      Delete