Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Toothpaste

I finished my U.S. tube of Sensodyne toothpaste yesterday and tried the one I bought in Jordan. The zesty, frothy mixture of the U.S. brand does not compare to the listless, flat paste from the same company. Oh, well. I need my flouride because it is not added to the water system. The taste is the same. I just have to use more of it.

It is the end of January and flowers are popping up all over the place. Today was 66 Fahrenheit, if not warmer. I had to take off my jacket because I was already perspiring as I walked in the mid-day sun.

I visited Our Lady of Peace center, which is a facility that serves the young disabled population of Amman. Children between 6 and 12 come to the center for vocational, occupational, electro- and hydro-therapy. It is a clean, wide-open facility with a nearby church. It is quite a well-managed place although there is not a steady, reliable source of funds. However, they meet payroll each month - miraculously.

I enjoyed meeting the priest there. He was kind to us and very hospitable. He is from a Madaba family and welcomes the fraternity of other priests. I may hold retreats at his place. It nestled in a forest and is very quiet. I yearn for quiet.

I passed by a golf driving range. I've got to check it out. I also want to check out the prices of the nearby golf course. Right now the fairways are green because scant amounts of grass popped up all over Jordan because of the winter rains. I wonder what it will be like in June and July. It is not a popular sport here so it might be a reasonable price for 18 holes. It could be good relaxation and sport.

I auditioned today at Dozan Wa Atwar, a choral group that performs Arabic and Classical choral music. I'm glad to find such a location. My audition did not take long and I will hear later this week if I am accepted. From what I can tell, the date of the spring concert has not been set. It might be a fun way to learn Arabic words and to meet people from a different slice of life. I'm open for it.

6 comments:

  1. I do hope you are accepted in the choral group. Arabic and Classical choral music. Really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be real fun. I might as well stretch myself in many ways.

      Delete
  2. You are so amazing - good for you for trying out for the choral group. It will be a good way to mingle with the people and show the love of God. I'm with Claire and I hope you are accepted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynda. I think the mingling will be good. I am, though, one of the old guys. I think everyone else is in their 20's and 30's.

      Delete
  3. The choral group sounds very cool! I hope that you get in, too!!

    For what it is worth, when I saw the post title, before I clicked in, I thought - "ooh- I forgot to buy Sensodyne today!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that funny. Who would have thought toothpaste made from the same company would differ a great deal in quality.

      Delete