Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

What am I to do?

Suddenly, I find myself very busy. Life at the parish is bursting with activity and I'm always doing some planning for the future, but finding time for myself is important. If I live well and am happy, it is an attractive Gospel quality. People are drawn to happy people who say yes to invitations. Here are a few invitations I have accepted recently:

I was accepted as a singer into Dozan wa Awtar, a Jordanian-based chorale group that performs a range of secular and sacred music from Byzantine hymns, chorale classics of Western music to contemporary Islamic anasheed. The group has performed international folks songs, Broadway hits, and popular music of many languages. Rehearsals will be strenuous - meeting on Monday and Wednesday nights from Feb. 1 through mid-April.

I'm also conducting the parish choir. I am impressed with the dedication of many of these parishioners who put themselves out there each week to learn new songs to them. Most of them are classic English-speaking songs, but they now have the chords - and the motivation to stretch themselves. Liturgy and music planning requires a great deal of time and thought. With our church using the Orthodox calendar, it makes the planning even more precise. It is also stretching me to be a conductor and music instructor. How I wish I had musical training as a boy.

I also signed up for an art class and had my first instruction yesterday. I was surprised with the mathematical formulas needed for art. To even draw a basic square in various positions required mathematical principles. How interesting. I can't wait to begin my homework because it will feel like I'm actually doing something artistic, but I know it will require a valuable input of time. I was excited about the class. I wish I had taken at least one art class in high school or college so I could learn principles.

When I left the class, I saw a store that has stamping supplies. A friend of mine in Boston, Marybeth, is an avid stamper. She has taught me how to do it though she is far superior, but it is fun. If I can start with a modest supply, I can have a small gathering for parishioners to enjoy. I thought it was unusual to find a store like this in Amman. Every new corner has possibilities.

A friend just gave me a ukulele. It is a hoot. I'm learning a few chords so I can make a couple quick ditties with them. Maybe we can have a talent night at the parish sometime. The ukulele will be fun. Maybe I'll invest in a basic guitar so I can pick up a few more chords.

My life wont' be complete without reading. The problem is that I am reading about five books at the same time. At the same time, I've got periodicals and the internet to read each day. I've been given a number of interesting books to read and I just have to be more diligent with them because they are all revelatory or relaxing.

Then, of course, I want to do some level of exercise each day - even if it means getting our for an hour's walk. Fortunately, listening to music makes me walk further.

I love my camera and I have a lot to learn about photography. I want to take some of my photos and make them into a booklet. I have to figure out a theme for a book. I have a range of photos and a range of ideas. I need to settle on one and just begin.

I also want to make some headway on a spirituality booklet that I have been considering. I've compiled many thoughts and placed them into a template. I need the inspiration to give it a go. I have three themes to advance. What will it take for me to start writing these?

Additionally, I have my blog to write and maintain each week. It is a terrific discipline and I'm told by many it is helpful. I have about 125 people on average checking it out each day and I just passed the 200,000 views thresh-hold.

And my fascination with complex jigsaw and crossword puzzles.

Then of course I have a busy parish life and its many activities, and lastly there is:

prayer

I should say firstly there is prayer. It is especially rich to pray while in the Holy Land in a kingdom and region of Muslims with a Jewish state to our west.

I want more than ever to help the parishioners develop a life of prayer that is based on the person of Jesus in a relational way. I'll be offering my first guided meditation in a couple of weeks.


4 comments:

  1. You got into the chorale!!! Yay!!!

    I am astounded by how much you do and give, please know that I am praying for you. You will leave your mark on Jordan, just as it will leave its mark on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fran. Thanks for the prayers! May our lives always be enriched by those around us.

      Delete
  2. Your parishioners are blessed to have you. Prayers for you will continue.

    ReplyDelete