Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Monday, January 7, 2013

What a hoot!

What a hoot! Howling winds last night battered Amman as it ushered in a cold front. The wind tore apart aluminum siding from garages and fences and the noise was louder than the mating cats of yesterweek. (That's a new word I made up.)

This morning it rained quite heavily. I am actually vacillating between enjoying myself and feeling sympathy for drivers as they pass by the Jesuit Center. I had thoughts of helping some of them, but then I figured they were doing fine on their own. It makes me realize the fragile state of many cars that pass on the roads. There are no inspections here so safety and emissions are not a concern to the people of the Kingdom. As it is later in the day, the roads are becoming more sparse because people are leaving work early. Snow is forecast forecast for Tuesday night into Wednesday. Weather reports call this a blizzard, but I have always thought snow was associated with blizzards.

I saw this one many in sneakers pushing his car up the hill while six inches of water runoff buried his feet. His car must have stalled in the water as he sped up the hill. He was about 3 inches away from hitting a parked car when he jumped inside his own and backed into a parking spot.

Last night, reports of traffic fatalities dominated the news.

Several drivers have stalled while friends come by with jumper cables to get them going again. However, they park where they can and they often block busy driveways. Most people stayed in - just like a snow day. Some reported hail this morning. Many are driving slowly and cautiously. Would that it would rain every day.

Our morning guests were delayed for over an hour because of the rain. It gets into peoples' psyche. They walked to see us as they live about one tenth of a mile away from us.

Meanwhile, I packed all my Christmas decorations. Now I have to find a place to store them.

On a different note, yesterday we had an interesting discussion of how some animal waste is used to flavor foods, especially to give an earthy or smoky flavor to certain breads. Camel and goat is particularly favored. It is still done in many rural areas and sometimes it is used as a type of cooking fuel. Enough said.

Ah, the winds have died down enough for swallows and finches to return to their perches.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like quite the storm. My Christmas decorations are still up and I might get motivated this evening but we'll see. Loved the post until the comment about animal waste. I would never want to think about that! I hope the snow doesn't cause too many problems - then the traffic will be interesting or perhaps everyone will stay indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is like a snowstorm in the southern U.S. People panic easily. The snow might not have accumulated at all in most places. It felt good to take down the Christmas decorations. I expect people will stay in tonight.

      When I first heard about it, I thought it sounded awful too.

      Delete
  2. A hoot and a howl, me thinks.
    I like lots of flavor but I tend to favor French vanilla if the goats don't mind.

    ReplyDelete