Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Friday, March 22, 2013

Wind and Sand

Today we had temperatures of 80 Fahrenheit and bright sun. Since Friday is the first day of the weekend, many people were out enjoying the great weather. Within a span of half an hour the sky darkened and dusty sand filled the heavens. The temperatures dropped precipitously and the winds started howling. I'm alone in the Jesuit Center and doors are opening and closing, fans are whirring backwards, lights are flickering. I feel like I'm alone at Gloucester during a nor-easter. I keep expecting someone to walk through the doors that are opening at will. I realize how porous the stone house really is. Sand breaks down everything in its path.

Interestingly, the call to prayer seemed to fit into the wind and be carried by it. The lifting and dropping of voices echoed the way the wind picked up and dropped. I could imagine the sand and the prayer washing over the dunes before they drop to the earth or rise to the heavens.

I'm soon off to bed. Friday's, everyone's day off, is my busy day. I've gone non-stop from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. The last hour I've been catching up with emails, but my mind is now mush and it is time to retire. Good night.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Claire. I'm well rested now and ready for Saturday.

      Delete
  2. So many new experiences! Blessings to you John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite a place. I always thought the desert would be harsh by a strong and ever-present sun. It is a harsh land in many other ways.

      Delete