Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Monday, June 10, 2013

Ah, kittens

I dread walking to my car these days because I know underneath it are some young kittens that have found refuge under my car's tires. I check each time I leave, but I always fear I won't see one. All those terrible, night-piercing noises in February produced some beautiful animals. I want to take them into our house and raise them as house-cats, but I don't think their mother would appreciate it. I was thinking, "I could give them a better, more secure life with a full belly and some human attention each day," but I would still be taking them away from their mother and I just can't do that. They are beautiful calico cats. I slip them some food, just as I feed the birds.

I do have to find a bird feeder because the chunks of bread and seeds that I leave for them are still too big for them to chew. As one uses the stairway below my window, the person can see that it is littered with bread crumbs. I'll find a solution. I also want to find a way to give them water regularly. I was told birds don't live in Amman, but there are sufficient ones outside my window and I want to keep them here because they are great entertainment - as long as I don't get an avian flu.

Singing is going well for our concert at the Roman Amphitheater. I still think it will be terrific to sing in a place that existed 2,500 years ago. Singing outdoors at night in an acoustically sound environment will be fascinating. All the songs are in Arabic and I'm coming along. Rehearsals are almost completely conducted in Arabic and I understand the gist of what they are saying, but my eyes do glaze over.

I'm even improving in the sign language with Anjude, our custodial worker. She is deaf and speak Arabic in a very low voice. We are understanding each other better now and we can have fun in trying to communicate. One day I'll get serious about language studies.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe it's a bit early to take the kittens, but of course when they're able to fend for themselves they go on their own anyway. IMO letting them become feral would be worse than taking them from their mother. Also, if you can capture the mother and get her spayed, that would be a good thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Capturing might be difficult. Further befriending, especially as she is nursing, might be easier. I'll give it a shot.

      Delete
  2. I am so excited for you - singing in that ampitheatre!

    As for the kittens, may they be safe and find the homes they need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fran. I have lots of Arabic sounds to make before the concert. I'll spend about an hour today saying the words in rhythm as rehearsal.

      Delete