Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Sunday, April 27, 2014

A tasty lunch

Today, I cooked a meal for the Saturday/Sunday choirs. They have brought me to their dinners very often so it was right that I repay them with good old fashioned Italian cooking. They instructed me to bake them a cheese and meat lasagna as they have had enough chicken for a lifetime.

I made a ground beef lasagna with the rarely-found ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheeses. It came out great. They told me to make a very small one because there would only be ten of them so I made a large one and it was completely consumed. I made garlic bread based on Turkish bread and I loaded it with onions, garlic, and mushrooms.

Then I made a very fresh salad with chicken on the side. The mashed potatoes and the Turkish salads were a big hit, but surprisingly, the brown rice was seldom touched. The ice cream and cake served in the garden was also a huge hit. Fr. Al prepared the dessert course. As is expected, many photos were taken and everyone was jumping around in the garden in great happiness. Many funny facial expressions will appear on those photos.

The confirmation mass with the bishop was a fun time as well. The bishop did a nice job with the homily because he had to deliver it in English. The seven confirmati were very pleased with his celebration and they enjoyed talking with each other at the reception afterwards.

The choir sang so well. They had the right timing and they were very attentive to what makes for a good liturgy. Everyone recognized the great work they did. Even the bishop and the other Arabic speaking priest sang along to familiar Easter tunes. I was so proud.

Just about every night at 9:30, I receive a call from a choir member who wants me to hear the work her great niece is doing. With scarcely saying hello, they just start playing and singing. Now, they are learning how to play the keyboard and they are doing quite well. I’m very proud of their dedication. The choir understands what they need to learn and work on and they are very diligent.


Today is the canonization of Popes John XXIII and John Paul II. I’m especially excited that John XXIII, the good Pope, is being duly recognized. He has been a favorite of mine for some time. Thank God for Pope Francis.

6 comments:

  1. That lasagne sounds great! And the garlic bread... The joy of being at table together, it is a good and beautiful thing!

    I also love that the choir is doing so well - bravo to you and to them. Such rich blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to make and they enjoyed just about every last morsel. Yes, the choir is improving so well. I love good liturgy and we are pointed in the right direction.

      Delete
  2. John, those folks are very lucky to have you there with them. Your light is shining strongly and truly, and I'm so happy that you've carved out such a meaningful life spent ministering to others. You're a truly inspirational teacher (and, as it turns out, a good cook!). Big bear hugs, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They just seemed so happy. I think they felt honored to come to the Jesuit Center and to have a meal cooked for them. I was pleased that they came with empty hands so we could treat them well.

      Delete
  3. A man gifted with many talents! I love to hear about your people having a great time. They are blessed to have you there. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda, they enjoyed themselves and they were very appreciative.

      Delete