Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Saturday, November 18, 2017

The Time is Coming

My mother gasped when she saw me and immediately burst into tears. The nurse said, "Those are tears of joy, mummy." My mother said to me, "I didn't think I would see you again. It has been so long." We embraced as she cried.

She was alert and chipper, but those moments fade suddenly. We shared a few Hershey Drop chocolate candies and she was looking for her dog, Lulu, to feed a drop. Since the dog did not come, she ate it instead. I said, "We can feed her when she comes back."

I asked how she was doing, and she said, "Well, I'm dying." "Do you think that will happen soon?" "Yes, I'm not ready yet, but I feel it." "What is it like?" "It is just coming on."

"Are you afraid of anything?" "Not really." "Is there anything you would like to say before you go?" "I've said everything that I need to say. Everyone knows I love them. No, all is good." She continued, "I meet so many good people here. Most are very kind, and they really like me. I feel good when people like me, and many do." She asks a nearby resident, "Do you like me?" She nodded, and my mother said, "and I like you too. It is really about liking people and caring for them."

I looked around to watch all the people who were visiting. A woman was visiting her mother, who is on the bossy side, but the mother became very tender around her child. Sons were holding their mother's hands and daughters were making their mothers laugh. Staff were attentive and caring. Lots of goodwill was being splashed around the center. People were very happy.

Two male residents died within the past week. One was very healthy and death came quickly for him; the other lingered in pain for a while, so death was merciful to take him.

I asked how my mother's legs were feeling and she said, "A little better, but everything is getting hard for me. It is overwhelming and I think it will end soon."

"It is OK for you to go. Your pain will be gone, and you'll feel better, and you'll remember us. And we'll remember you." I hope so.

"You'll see your Ma and Pa, and Betty, and Dawn Mari, and that will be a happy time." I hope so.

"You'll be close to God and to Jesus and you'll be able to see everything that we are doing. You'll be close to us from heaven as we stay on earth, but it won't be too long before we join you in the future." I hope so.

"And it is OK to let go. Jesus will be there to catch you as you pass from this life to the next. He'll hold you in his arms just as you held us when we were born. And what did you do? You held us close to your heart, you kissed us, you smelled us, you smiled at us, and Jesus will do the same with you. He'll be smiling at you when he holds you in his arms, and he will keep you safe." I hope so.

"And everything will be very fine." I want that.

"So, I want to say to you: I love you. I'm sorry for the ways I offended you, and I hope you forgive me. I forgive you too. I'm sorry. And mostly, I want to say: thank you." That's OK.

"Would you like to pray now and receive communion?" "Yes, please." We say the Lord's prayer and I offer he communion. After half a minute she says, "It is funny. The piece of communion is dead in my mouth, but it is so alive. It really is alive."

I gave her some moments in silence and her eyes became heavy. Then a nursing assistant came over to move her to her lunch table. I asked her for a hug and she sank into my arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment