Daily Emails

https://predmoresj.blogspot.com/

Sunday, December 3, 2017

Messiah concert: Satisfaction

We concluded our slate of Messiah concerts this weekend. As a chorister, it was remarkable to look out into the audience to see faces of satisfaction. Some faces were smiling; others were serene; some were prayerful; some had looks of astonishment upon the. It is truly a gift to delight so many people with beautiful notes.

The soloists were superb and we were fortunate to have them sing with us: Erin Smith, Soprano; Ray Bauwens, Tenor; and Thomas Jones, Baritone. Our conductor, Sonja Dahlgren Pryor, is outstanding in her artistry, especially as she celebrated her 86th birthday a week ago.

While the chorus sang very well, everyone's attention was riveted upon the faces and voices of the Honors Youth Choir, ages 10-18, because of the purity of their sound and for the hope they provide for the future. Parents, grandparents, family, and friends beamed when the children sang.

Customarily, audience members withhold their applause until the end of the sections of the performance. One family was enthusiastic and applauded every piece at the start of the concert, but they found they were lone clappers. At the end of the concert, one woman from this family thanked the soprano soloist and said, "This is my first time at a concert. My heart was exploding as I heard the pieces and I just wanted to clap to every note, but I realized I was not supposed to do so. I had to clap in my heart and I'm just so excited for my first concert. Thank you. Thank you."

It is quite a joy though to gaze upon the faces of the audience. It is like waking up on Christmas morning to see children find a Christmas tree overflowing with brightly decorated gifts. Well, those smiles and expressions are gifts to us. We are glad we gave you a gift to cherish. Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment